In Marion County, an arrest warrant search can be handled by the magistrate’s office just as well as it could be tackled by the sheriff’s department. Both the police and the judiciary play integral roles in the issue of active warrants. While the police investigate all criminal matters, makes arrests where possible, hold the accused till he can be presented in court, the judiciary has its own unique job profile.
The magistrate’s court receives petitions for the release of arrest warrants and other legal provisions. It also holds the carte blanche when it comes to the issue of judicial directives such as bench warrants. However, as far as active warrants are concerned, the judge has to rely on the police to bring all case-related facts before the court.
These are compiled in the form of a declaration which is formally presented before the bench with a petition for the issue of the arrest warrant. The judiciary is not playing on the side of law enforcement when hearing the warrant petition. Far from it, the magistrate will seldom cut the cops any slack if it is found that they don’t have enough ground to base their charges on.
However, once probable cause is established, there are no delays in issuing the active warrant in Marion County. The sheriff’s deputies are equally quick in serving these directives. Yet, some pending orders for arrests stay back in the system. Information on these outstanding warrants is routed to the FBI and offered in the form of a most-wanted list. To find arrest records from Marion County along with information on the issue of active warrants, you can go to:
- The office of the sheriff: 219 Broad Street, Columbia, Mississippi 39429
- The court of the magistrate: 250 Broad St, Columbia, MS 39429
- The department of the county clerk:250 Broad Street, Suite #2, Columbia, Mississippi 39429
How do you connect with law enforcement agencies over the phone for a Marion County warrants search and arrests-data? (Checked in 2021)
- Inquiries about recent arrests: 601-736-2711.
- General inquiries about crime and criminals: 601-736-2033.
- Inquiries about arrest warrants: 601-736-2572
- Inquiries about requesting an accident/incident/arrest report or a local criminal background check process: : 601-736-5051
- Inquiries about court records: 601-736-8246.
- Inquiries about victim/witness services: 601-736-9301.
Crime statistics of Marion County
The annual crime average of Marion County stood at 215 incidents in 2019. Of the complaints filed, property crimes clocked around 167 cases. In the violent crimes category, nearly 48 complaints were filed, of which 76 were against matters of assault.
Older crime statistics
A few over 400 criminal complaints make their way to the office of the Marion County, MS sheriff each year. Of these, about 40 are heinous crimes that are violent in nature, such as murder, assault, and rape. Unfortunately, there has been a slight growth in the number of such incidents over the 7 year period from 2001 to 2007.